Islamabad: The Capital Development Authority (CDA) Board met with Chairman Amir Ali Ahmed in the chair and approved the proposed swapping of 327 acres of land between the CDA and the Islamabad Wild Life Management Board Margalla Hills National Park (MHNP). The prosed area of MHNP falls in the alignment of the Proposed Magalla Road and the CDA’s sectors C-14 and C-15. The alignment of the road and sectors is in line with the Islamabad Master Plan of 1960. In exchange, an equivalent area of land of Murghazar Zoo and CDA’s acquired land towards the north of sector D-12 would be included in the MHNP.
The decision is reported to be taken as a result of a detailed meeting between the CDA chairman and the IWMB chairperson. The proposal of swapping 327 acres was presented before the board, which has now approved it. Now, the CDA will move a case to the federal government for issuing a notification for the inclusion and exclusion of the areas from the MHNP. The under-construction Margalla Road and CDA’s Sector C-14 and C-15 are also reported to be completed in the near future which would give a new look to the beauty of the area.
The Margallah Hills National Park was officially formed by the government in 1980. Spanned over an area of 1700 hectares the MHNP magnifies the beauty of the federal capital to a great extent. There is a beautiful landscape, Hicking tracks and trails in the Margallah Hills. There is also a sizeable habitat of wildlife within the boundaries, especially the Asian Tiger. The government has long been trying to preserve and protect the natural beauty of the Margallah Hills. The Supreme Court of Pakistan and the Islamabad High Court in their various decisions have repeatedly observed that the natural beauty of the Margallah Hills would be preserved and safeguarded at every cost.